The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones - Daven McQueen - ★★★★.¾

AUTHOR: Daven McQueen
GENRE: YA Historical Fiction
PUBLICATION DATE: June 16, 2020
RATING: 4.75 stars.
In a Nutshell: A coming-of-age Historical fiction with the themes of friendship and racism. Excellent depiction of historical attitudes, great setting, fabulous characters, amazing plot. I can't believe this was originally a Wattpad story! What a marvellous debut! One of my top favourite reads of 2026. Much recommended.
Plot Preview:
1955. After fourteen-year-old Ethan, a biracial boy raised mostly by his white father, gets into a fight at school, his father decides to send him to Ellison (Alabama) to spend the summer with his aunt and uncle. However, as the only Black person in Ellison, Ethan’s race stands out much strongly in the conservative town, whose residents make it clear that Ethan isn't welcome. The only exception is Juniper Jones, a young white girl with a free spirit. She welcomes Ethan as her friend, and together, begins to plan an “invincible summer”. As Ethan experiences racism for the first time, Juniper tries to help him see the positive side in this negative world.
The story comes to us in flashback from 2015 in Ethan’s third-person perspective.
Where do I begin to praise this beautiful book? After a long, long time, I have a book that I didn’t feel like keeping down, that I slowed through because I didn’t want it to get over, that I laughed and cried with, that didn’t make me once bemoan the fact that I was reading a YA novel.
Bookish Yays:
🌻 The prologue – intriguing not just because it tells us Ethan’s present but it also tells us that Juniper isn't a part of his life at present. So much curiosity!
🌻 A YA book that is written the way YA books should be – much realism, no whining, no unwanted attitudes, no forced-in bad language, no pretensions of coolness, no unnecessary attacking of adult characters. It includes dark themes and is still age-appropriate.
🌻 Ethan. Awesome young fellow. I wonder if he feels so real and loveable because he isn't penned by a male writer.
🌻 Juniper. Each one of us needs a Juniper in our life, that’s all I’ll say.
🌻 The first-person narration by Ethan. Given a title, I though Juniper would be the narrator, so I was a bit apprehensive when I discovered that a young boy would be our narrator for this story. But I think the author made all the difference. This was one of the most sensitive and realistic male first-person narrations I have read in ages.
🌻 Ethan’s Uncle Robert and Aunt Cara – the best representation of how difficult it can be to grow with one kind of thinking and open our minds to another attitude. A special shoutout to Gus, a secondary character with primary impact.
🌻 The introductory author's note about the language used. Much needed and very important. I support their decision about the use of such words as their intensity is better reflected.
🌻 The depiction of the 1950s era with its positives and negatives accurately shown. I like how actual events are also incorporated into the background of this story.
🌻 The portrayal of the small town of Ellison and its restrictive attitudes – Very true to life.
🌻 The central theme of racism. One of the most nuanced portrayals of this difficult theme I have read. I like that it shows not just the experience of the Black recipient of racist attacks (Ethan) but also of those whites who are good at heart but don’t always understand the severity of his feelings. Only a human belonging to a minority (of any kind) can understand what being a targeted minority means.
🌻 Only one central theme, and the book sticks to it faithfully. No clutter, none of the usual sink-load of tropes found in debut works.
🌻 Despite what you might assume, this isn't, and doesn’t turn into, a romance. For once, a YA novel showing a friendship between a girl and a boy sticks to just friendship.
🌻 The ending. Can't say anything except that I hated and loved it at once.
Bookish Okays:
🍨 The negative characters are a little predictable and flat, but this is mostly on par for a YA story.
🍨 I would have liked to learn a little more about Juniper’s aunt and the exact level of her dependency, but given that the story comes from Ethan’s POV, this was just a wishful thought.
Overall, this book is easily one of my top ten reads of this year, an honour that rarely goes to YA novels. I loved almost everything about it, right from the characters to the plot to the execution to the themes and even the historical elements.
I usually have an aversion towards Wattpad books because I had this (obviously erroneous) belief that anything written in Wattpad would be too juvenile for me. Had I known beforehand that this book was a Wattpad publication, I might not even have picked it up. Now I am questioning my stupid assumption and wondering what other Wattpad beauties I might have missed out on in all these years. (If you have any good recs, feel free to drop them in the comments!)
This is the author’s debut novel, and to my disappointment, they haven’t written any further novels after this 2020 work. I sure hope they are planning to pen more fiction because I for sure want to read their works, even if it needs me to finally install Wattpad.
Much, much recommended. Though this is a YA work, I think it would work well for all readers aged 15+, given its universal appeal and applicability. Anyone who wants a book that offers a range of emotions will appreciate this book (as long as you remember that it was written for YA readers so don’t expect complex literary appeal.)
4.75 stars. (I can't even remember when I last used this high rating! I was initially thinking of 4.5 stars, but this novel kept me wanting to come back to it, so it deserves more.)


Comments
Post a Comment