Heiress of Nowhere - Stacey Lee - ★

AUTHOR: Stacey Lee
GENRE: Historical Mystery
PUBLICATION DATE: March 17, 2026
RATING: 1 star.
In a Nutshell: A historical murder mystery. Not much of a historical feel, not much of a mystery. Excellent description of the location and the sea creatures. Boring plot. Bland characters. Annoying love triangle. Very disappointed. I didn't realise this was a YA book when I got it, but even as a YA book, I doubt teenagers will actually enjoy such a storyline.
Plot Preview:
1918. Orcas Island, Washington.
Eighteen-year-old Lucy Nowhere has spent her entire life working on the estate of the rich shipbuilder named Daken Sanders who took her in after she was orphaned as a baby. As she longs for a life beyond the island, she has applied for college in Washington. Her benefactor isn't thrilled with her decision.
Just a couple of days before she has to leave, she finds his severed head on the beach. Locals blame a mysterious spirit and the sea wolves for the killing, despite evidence of human involvement. Then comes another shocker: Sanders has willed his entire estate to Lucy. And he has left her a secret letter, asking her to find out the truth about her father's death. Now Lucy has to discover the connection between the two events, and why Sanders waited so long.
The story comes to us in Lucy's first-person perspective.
This plot had tremendous potential based on what is written in the official blurb. But the execution is just about average. The location and the animals saved my overall rating, because nothing about the plot or the characters was impressive.
Bookish Yays:
π The setting of Orcas Island. Excellently depicted and utilised in the plot.
π Inclusion of characters from multiple ethnicities.
Bookish Okays:
πΊ The title is a little bit of a spoiler. Lucy becomes an heiress only on page 67, but we know it even before beginning the book. π
πΊ The portrayal of the orcas (the mother and child pair) was beautiful. However, calling them “sea wolves” confused me. Orcas are called “wolves of the sea”, not “sea wolves” (at least as far as I know.) This might have been fine if I hadn’t known about the actual Coastal Sea Wolf in the Pacific NW. I had to keep reminding myself that the book was talking about orcas and not the wolves.
Bookish Nays:
π Lucy. Only in a YA book can an ignorant teen suddenly take over not just a million-dollar company but also a murder investigation and even juggle two potential relationships at the same time. Welp!
π The plot development. Focussing on everything unnecessary and ignoring the actual mystery.
π The clutter of genres and themes, making the story seem directionless.
π The pacing. Utterly slow.
π Why is it called a Gothic mystery when there’s nothing Gothic about it?
π The central logic. If the late Sanders already knew that he wanted Lucy to be his successor, why wasn’t he more active in her life as a mentor and why had he not started grooming her more about his business? I didn’t buy his rationale for making her the heiress; it just felt like a convenient plot point.
π Ridiculous how no one discovered anything for eighteen years and our eighteen-year-old discovers everything within weeks. Equally ridiculous why some thigs were kept secret for so long.
π The actual mystery. So easy to guess the guilty party! We might not know the why, but the who and how is clear from the get-go. Furthermore, it is shocking how hardly anyone, including the police, is not even bothered to find out more about a killer who has actually severed a head or look for the rest of the body. And this is a rich man we are talking about, not some nondescript homeless fellow. What kind of investigation is this!
π Such stupid names for some of the secondary characters! I cannot take a murder mystery seriously when I see monikers like Boots and Horlick and Mrs. Bonefat. π¬
π The romantic triangle – Ughhh! In a murder mystery, why would anyone want to read a romantic triangle? Imagine having inner monologues about attraction even during a murder investigation.π€
π The male leads. I fail to see how they were the targets of Lucy’s potential affection. Both were idiots!
π The forced-in magical realism and paranormal elements. Had so much intriguing potential but barely even used.
π The writing. Hardly any scene feels believable or convincing. There’s needless drama and unrealistic dialogues. A part of me feels it was written keeping a screen adaptation in mind.
π The poor atmospheric feel. There are token mentions of historical stuff such as land phones and the war, but merely adding historical facts doesn’t make a book historical. The dialogues don’t feel old-time for the most part.
π Unwarranted animal cruelty.
After that extensive list of Nays, I don’t think I need to justify my rating. I am not sure why this is marked as a YA gothic mystery. The YA genre goes from ages 12-18 – a vast and wide age range. But I cannot picture such a storyline working with anyone in this age group. It would have been better if the book had added more maturity to its content (and its characters) and targeted adult readers.
Sorry, but I cannot recommend this, especially not as a YA book. Please check out the other reviews to take a more balanced call on this work.
My thanks to Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing, Sarah Barley Books, and Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers for providing the DRC of “Heiress of Nowhere” via NetGalley. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book. Sorry this didn’t go better for me.


Comments
Post a Comment