Into a Golden Era - Gabrielle Meyer - ★★★★.½

AUTHOR: Gabrielle Meyer
SERIES: Timeless, #7
GENRE: Historical Romance.
PUBLICATION DATE: May 5, 2026
RATING: 4.5 stars.


In a Nutshell: A historical fiction novel set during two timelines: the Gold Rush and the Golden Age of Hollywood. The latest novel from the incomparable Timeless series, and probably the one with the most number of surprises. Excellent plot, characters, writing, and historical research. Christian without being preachy. A bit slow and repetitive in the final quarter, but the ending is worth it. Much recommended! Works as a standalone but better to read in series order.


Plot Preview: 
Twenty-four-year-old Ally Adams lives two simultaneous lives. (If you've read any of the Timeless books, you know how her time-crossing works.
In 1849, wishing to restore her family’s lost comforts, Ally intends to capitalise on the Gold Rush and travels with her sick father and young half-sister to San Francisco, where she finds herself penniless and at the mercy of an ex-convict who owns a dishevelled boarding-house. Ally is sure that she will escape this timeline once she secures her family’s future. But how can she do that in such a lawless place with no money and no one to help out?
In 1929, Ally is a successful member of a film family, known for her looks and her acting talent. But when silent-era Hollywood transitions to talkies, her family’s film studio is on the brink of ruin. One successful production might make a difference, so the family studio invests all remaining funds into a production of ‘Little Women’. To ensure that this proceeds smoothly, Ally is forced to agree to some deals that go against her conscience, but when it comes to family, she is willing to sacrifice what it takes. 
When history starts showing signs of turning, Ally wonders if she can use one of her lives to secure the future of both of her families without risking her own future. 
The story comes to us in Ally’s first-person perspective from the two timelines.  



I have been a staunch fan of the ‘Timeless‘ series right from the first book when Gabrielle Meyer was an unknown author to me. After reading six novels (almost all of which were 4.5 star reads), I am fairly adept at recognising the key ingredients of the series and what makes it special. To some extent, I can also predict the timeline that the FMC will ultimately choose. Despite this familiarity, the Timeless books still manage to surprise me. This latest novel is no exception. I continue to remain in awe of this series.

I wasn’t even sure if I would get to read this book. I have accessed all the earlier novels as ARCs through NetGalley, but I wasn’t among the lucky readers to be chosen for this one, and the series is very expensive in India. In June, out of the blue, Recorded Books decided to open up the ‘RB Media Listening Circle’ to international readers, and I was super-fortunate to make it to their list. But in a twist of fate, by the time my request for this book was granted, I was diagnosed with a life-changing health issue. This book is the first book I have read after my surgery, and it came as a blessing in myriad ways. Not only could I draw strength from the faith that Ally and the other characters have, but their story also ensured that my mind could focus on the book without being distracted by my bodily struggles. As many characters in the book reiterate, ‘God always has a plan’. He knew I not just wanted but needed this book at this phase of my life. I have still a long way to go in my recovery, but I am happy that this book from my favourite series helped me kickstart the journey back towards better health. 


Bookish Yays:
🥇 The immense advantage of reading two distinct historical eras from the same character’s POV. It’s like a buy-one-get-one-free experience. (Applicable to all books in this series.

🥇 Ally as the lead character. Strong in character and morals, her determination in the face of challenges is inspirational in both timelines. Despite what she claimed, I found her willing to take charge of her destiny in both her lives. 

🥇 The remaining main characters, especially the ones in the 1849 timeline as their lives were so much more challenging and the story also offered them a greater role. Most characters in the 1929 timeline had a slightly smaller impact on me, but they weren’t bad as well. I liked seeing some special returnees from the earlier Timeless books.

🥇 The choice of the two timelines: the Gold Rush and the Golden era of Hollywood. I never would have thought there could be a plot linking these two monumental periods of Californian history. I enjoyed the 1849 track more as it focussed on an era I didn’t know much about. 

🥇 The contrast in circumstances between Ally’s two lives. A good reminder of how even the rich face struggles and how financial stability is necessary but never sufficient on its own.

🥇 The way Ally uses a movie and a book to build her knowledge of a historical event. (Ah, the days before the Internet and Google searches!) I especially enjoyed the story’s highlight on actual history vs. recorded history.

🥇 The way the classic novel 'Little Women' is woven into the plot, along with some information on its author Louisa May Alcott. 

🥇 The surprising twists! I don’t think I have ever mentioned this in any earlier Timeless review, but this book offered several unexpected reveals. 

🥇 The historical research. Impeccable as always!

🥇 The Christian content. The perfect amount of faith and faithfulness without feeling too preachy. Two lines hint at diversity and inclusivity – always a wonderful and legitimate addition to a book espousing actual Christian values. 

🥇 The author's note. Gabrielle Meyer is among the few authors whose parting notes leave me as engrossed as their novels do. I love how she always clarifies her writing choices and separates fact from fiction. 


Bookish Okays:
⌛ Way too many time crossers. I don’t even know if this is a legitimate issue because the series is about time-crossing, after all. But a couple of the time-crossers in this book felt a bit too convenient. 

⌛ The final quarter or so (after the key event in each timeline) is a bit too slow and repetitive (the repetition is primarily in Ally’s love-related thoughts), but the ending and the epilogue make up for this. 


🎧 The Audiobook Experience: 
The audiobook, clocking at 13 hrs 9 minutes, is narrated by Rachel Botchan. She does a commendable job, with excellent enunciation and character voice differentiation. However, the storyline is fairly complex because of the structure: a dual-timeline narrative within a single character's first-person POV. So if you are an audio newbie, better stick to actual reading. For experienced audio listeners, the audio version is quite doable. This is the first time I have explored a Timeless novel through audio. While the audio version wasn't as tricky to comprehend as I had assumed, I think I prefer reading the Timeless books with my eyes as I can relish the thought-provoking quotes much more.


Overall, this book delivered exactly as I had anticipated. With great characters, a superior storyline, excellent writing, fabulous historical research, and a strong rooting in faith, this novel ought to satisfy most historical fiction readers.
 
After seven books, the time-crossing and character interconnections have become so extensive that I don't try to fit everyone in a neat slot anymore. I just go with the flow and that is more than enough. As the plots are independent, not recognising all the earlier characters doesn't make too much difference. That said, despite the standalone nature, it would be better if you read the series in order as you will be able to appreciate certain characters more if you already know them from their original appearance. 

Definitely recommended to fans of historical fiction who like stories with strong research, Christian orientation, and a bit of romance. 

My thanks to Recorded Books for providing the ALC of “Into a Golden Era” via the RB Media Listening Circle. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the audiobook.


Here are the earlier books of the outstanding ‘Timeless’ series in the right order:






Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

After Life - Gayle Forman - ★

Photographs of Emily and other stories - Annalisa Crawford - ★★★★.¼

The Book Witch - Meg Shaffer - ★

The Ferryman and His Wife - Frode Grytten - ★★

The Awesome Physics in Your City - The Amazing Theatre of Physics - ★★★★