I Will Always Be Proud of You - Michael Wong

Author: Michael Wong

Illustrator: Zina Iugai
Genre: Picture Book, Inspirational
Rating:10 joyous stars, rounding down to 5.

If you had to read just one picture book to your little angels at bedtime, this is THE ONE!!! How I loved this book!

The whole content is written in the style of a parent speaking to their child. Most of the pages wonder what the child would love to do when they grow up, and the end of the tale is with an affirmation of love and support and a life lesson that all of us would do well to remember. At the end, there’s a special section on five famous people who make a surprise appearance in the illustrations.

What do kids want most? Knowing that they are loved and valued! This book reaffirms this idea in the most stunning way - by telling children that they are accepted as they are, no matter what they want to be. It also motivates them to strive for their passions, to accept gloomy days as a natural passing phase, and to know that their parents are always there when needed. I loved the lessons, because they echoes the idea I have been driving into my kids’ heads since they were young - ‘Don’t try to be the best, just be the best you can.’

The prose is very simple and there is just one sentence on every page. Yet, it is full of meaning and deep emotion. The lines are in rhythmic prose and are wonderful to read aloud as they flow smoothly. The whole content is chockfull of positivity and caring.

The illustrations melted my heart! Such cuteness! Such warmth! (I mean, just look at the cover! Can you resist the two cuties?) The sketches are diverse and inclusive as well. Bonus point: Having a dog (or sometimes, another animal) on every single page. Awww, my heart! There are 22 dogs in all (I didn’t count them, the last page revealed this! 😁) and each dog is of a different breed.

When you see me going overboard on positive adjectives, you can bet the book is being recommended with all my heart! This would make for the perfect bedtime read. It would also work wonderfully as a gift to expecting parents and new parents.

My thanks to Picco Puppy and Edelweiss+ for the DRC of “I Will Always Be Proud of You”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

The Great Divide - Cristina Henríquez - ★★★★.¼

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★