Going Places - Jody Hildreth

Author: Jody Hildreth

Genre: Picture Book
Rating: 3 stars.

A quirky picture book about answering the call of nature while showing an acorn man in the midst of nature.

See the cover. That’s an acorn man sitting on an acorn toilet, y’all! This cover gives you a great idea of the thematic style of the book. Every page has a striking photo in a gorgeous natural location, and every photo has an acorn person doing their business on an acorn loo. (I am not kidding! *giggling like a toddler*) There is a simple two-line verse on every page about visiting Dr. John. *wink wink* Most of these are hilarious. Sample this: “Enjoy the view, no need to rush. When finished, don’t forget to flush.” 😂

The photos are stunning – almost every locale made me feel like going there, not on the potty though. The acorn people are adorable and so well-crafted! The verses range from okay to hilarious. The only one I hated outright was the one about the astronaut. It was funny but totally inaccurate - kids will get a wrong idea of how astronauts use the facilities in outer space.

I did laugh my way through some of those pages, but I am stumped about whom to recommend this to. I guess if you are looking for a whimsical book filled with clean toilet humour, this would work. Kids might get a guffaw out of this as they enjoy such nonsensical books more.

I really don’t know what to rate this! Hence going for the midway mark – it was fun but with a limited appeal.

My thanks to Rosen Publishing, Windmill Books, and NetGalley for the DRC of “Going Places”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

The Great Divide - Cristina Henríquez - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼