Me Before You - Jojo Moyes - ★★★★.¼

AUTHOR: Jojo Moyes
SERIES: Me Before You, #1
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
PUBLICATION DATE: December 31, 2012
RATING: 4.25 stars.


How do you review a book that is based on a dicey moral issue? It's tough to separate your thoughts from the book's stance on the topic. But a well-written book is one that makes you think and rethink your views on a complicated matter without shoving its author's opinions on you. And that's how this became a good, thought-provoking book for me.

Louisa Clark, a 26 year old, has always lived a simple life in a small town. But after losing her long-term waitressing job and with no qualifications to do much else, she finds herself taking up the role of a caretaker to Will Traynor, a once-dynamic rich guy who became a paraplegic after an accident. Will has almost given up on life and makes it clear to Louisa that she isn't wanted. But she is determined to show him that life is worth living under any circumstances.

Most of the chapters come to us from the first person pov of Louisa. But a few chapters are written from the perspective of the other key players in this drama. And I liked how Moyes approached this. These key secondary players get only one chapter each, but within that limited duration, you receive an insight into their personality and their views on what's unfolding around them. It was a wonderful way of helping us know their innermost thoughts and frustrations without taking the focus off Louisa or Will.

Jojo Moyes' writing skill is pretty good, and her command over the language is awesome. (I have a great respect for authors who make me refer the dictionary!) The way she details out the tiny town where Louisa and Will abide, the way she incorporates the tiny moments of happiness seamlessly with the times of struggle, the way she brings the characters alive through her words without going overboard on the descriptions... Her plots and characters make an impact on your mind, whether you enjoyed them or not.

I love fictional books that make me wonder, "What would I do if I were in that situation?" And this book provided me with ample opportunities to do this. Most of the characters in this book (barring a couple of stereotypical ones) are well-etched, but the three who will stay with you long after the last page are Louisa, Will and Will's mom Camilla. Each of them was determined in his/her own way to fulfill his/her wishes and didn't back out no matter how huge the hurdle ahead. You feel sorry for all three, and you rationalise each of their decisions. And yet you'll be stumped about whom to support in the moral dilemma that is foremost in their minds.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed this story. It made me smile, it made me cry, it made me question various ideas, it made me aware of many facts. This reader is more than satisfied with the first book of the trilogy because it far exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a sappy romance. But it turned out to be so much more.

On to book two!



*****SPOILERS AHEAD*****
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Euthanasia is a highly debatable topic with valid reasons on either side of the argument. I'm not going to take a stand for or against euthanasia though it's a crucial point of contention in this book. It's such a complicated concept on various levels: ethical, legal, religious, medical... But as I said, the book made me re-evaluate my opinion based on fresh information. What I also appreciate is how Moyes presented both sides of the debate through the various characters and yet didn't end up taking a stance. The decision is, throughout the book, Will's. And we are provided with more than enough fodder for our minds to figure out if his decision is justified.

If you are strongly against euthanasia, go for this book with an open mind.


*****END OF SPOILERS*****



Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Reduce! Reuse! Recycle! - T.J. Klune - ★★★★.¾

Christmas Ever After - Jaimie Admans - ★★★★.¼

Hecatontagonal Stew - Kyle A. Massa - ★★★.½

Beneath The Trees Where Nobody Sees - Patrick Horvath - ★★★★.¼

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼