Boy of Chaotic Making - Charlie N. Holmberg - ★★★★

AUTHOR: Charlie N. Holmberg
GENRE: Historical Fantasy
SERIES: Whimbrel House, #3 RATING: 4 stars.

In a Nutshell: The third book of the Whimbrel House series. Won’t work as a standalone. I enjoyed the story to a great extent, but it doesn’t match up to the earlier two books. This volume felt quite relaxed and light in comparison to their darkness.

Story Synopsis: (Contains Spoilers about the first two books.)
1847, Ohio. Hulda Larkin, now the director of BIKER, is trying to sort out the mess left behind by the earlier director while also preparing for her upcoming nuptials with Merritt.
Merritt has just started feeling reassured that all dangers are behind him, when he receives a letter from the Queen of England, expressing her interest in his “dog” Owein. The Queen’s duty is to ensure that the royal lineage maintains its genetic dominance on magic, and she is sure that finding a human body for Owein’s spirit and marrying him into the royal family will work well for both parties. When the American duo lands in London, it is very clear that someone doesn’t want them around. However, with this being Owein’s only chance of lasting longer than his dog body will allow him to, he is determined to stay put, and Merritt is in no position to refuse.
The story comes to us through the limited third person perspective of Merritt, Hulda and Owein.


This is the third book of the Whimbrel House series, with the first two being Keeper of Enchanted Rooms and Heir of Uncertain Magic. I adored the first book, loved the second book, and enjoyed the third book. The plot is sequential across the books, and hence this series is best read in order.


Bookish Yays:
😍 I must begin with my darling little Owein. While he was anyway the star of the first and the second books, I knew this book was going to be a gamechanger for his arc. I loved him and his track, and without revealing much, I can only say I am so happy the author heeded the stern warning from my review of the second book.

😍 Merritt is as amazing as in the earlier books. He knows what he wants, and he doesn’t fret about achieving it. He is the perfect rock to shoulder Hulda’s worries. Hulda has redeemed herself marvellously after her annoying uncertainties in the second book. Though still a workaholic, she has finally learnt to follow her heart and let go just a bit. I loved both of them, and their relationship, which is so organic and without any forced breakups or makeups.

😍 While this story doesn’t have as many humorous scenes as the first two books, there is still enough banter between Merritt and Hulda, and also between Merritt and Owein, to offer tiny moments of relaxation.

😍 A good sequel always stands on the shoulders of the earlier books and takes the subplots ahead without compromising on the earlier developments. This book does that perfectly. I love how the author never forcefully pushes in twists or changes her characters’ personalities in the sequels. They grow, rather than change, over the course of the series.

😍 Unlike the earlier two works, this one is quite fast-paced right from the start. I like how there wasn’t too much time spent on recounting the events of the earlier novels. Again, the mark of a good sequel.

😍 The British setting provides a pleasant change of venue, though I did miss Whimbrel House and Narragansett Bay. The Brit characters are typical of their status, thereby offering us some interesting comments about how seriously they protect their magical bloodline. Merritt’s interaction with the Brits, which is lacking in snooty etiquette, is fun to read.

😍 I loved the ending. It has everything I wanted for the characters, and it also showed me where the story might move next. Perfect! I can forgive *most* issues if a book leaves me with a smile on my face.


Bookish Mixed Bags:
😐 The pages go by quickly, but in terms of plot, there’s not much. Perhaps the purpose of this book was just to lay a foundation for the grand finale in the fourth book. (That is to say, I'm assuming the next is going to be the final book. I do hope the series isn't extended even further, though I love it so!) I wish there had been more meat to this story, though I did love the final quarter.

😐 It was nice to learn more about the magical houses and their history. Seeing elemental magic in action was also great. However, a new category of magicians has been added to the plot this time, and they somehow do not fit well into the core plot. Their appearance felt like a way of extending the book to novel length. Unless they have an important role to play in the next book, I’d rather not see them again.

😐 I would have loved to see more of Baptiste and Beth in the story, though I understand why their appearance was limited.


Bookish Nays:
😢 I'm really disappointed that the culprit’s identity was so evident. At least the earlier books offered some challenge in the mystery. This time, the secret is as clear as day. 💔

😢 While this story is relatively serious, it isn’t darker. The dangerous situations and the villains of the first and the second books had creeped me out. This one felt like reading a middle-grade fantasy in comparison (except for the romance, of course). I miss the creepiness of the earlier books.


All in all, I did enjoy this story a lot, but the first two books set such a high benchmark that this paled in comparison. This won’t be my favourite book of the series, though it offered me enough entertainment and even included two plot developments I had been awaiting since Book One.

I am a teeny bit upset that a fourth book has been planned in this series, something that was revealed just a few days ago by the author in her newsletter. I mean, I'm happy as well because I love these characters with all my heart, but I'm so eager to see the culmination of their stories without wrecking my TBR with add-ons.

I wonder whom Book Four, “Wizard of Most Wicked Ways”, will be centred on. After all, the first three book titles clearly indicate their central characters (Merritt, Hulda, and Owein respectively), but I can think of only one contender for this title, and I sure as heck don’t want to see *him* again! A long wait though, before this question will be answered. Fingers crossed until then!

Definitely recommended to all readers of historical fantasies, but to be read in the right series order so that you can enjoy the plot to the fullest.

My thanks to 47North and NetGalley for the DRC of “Boy of Chaotic Making”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

The Great Divide - Cristina Henríquez - ★★★★.¼

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★