Thinking of You (but not like in a weird creepy way) - Beth Evans - ★★.½

AUTHOR: Beth Evans

GENRE: Self-Help/Motivational Art.
RATING: 2.5 stars.

In a Nutshell: Grabbed this because I thought it was a humorous comic collection. It turned out to be a self-help/motivational book, a genre I dislike with all my heart. So please take this review with a pinch of salt. It’s definitely not the book but me.

The book comprises a series of motivational messages that aim to make you feel uplifted and positive about facing the drudgeries of life. All the pages are addressed to ‘you’ – the reader. It’s like having your own personal cheerleader, with myriad motivational messages sprinkled across the pages. Some are as simple as ‘You deserve love’ or ‘You are special’ or ‘You are doing your best!’; others, slightly longer and deeper.

The title, or rather, the funny-sounding part in the brackets, made me assume that this would be a humorous graphic novel. But it turned out that not a single page induced laughter.

The artwork is exactly as you can see on the cover. Simplistic and sweet.

If you follow author-illustrator Beth Evans’ account on Instagram, you will be better prepared for the content. (Needless to say, I wasn’t among her Insta followers, and hence I was caught unawares by the serious tone.)

If you need someone to root for you, cheer you on, motivate you onwards when you are struggling with thoughts or work or life in general, this might work for you. I am not at all a fan of the self-help genre, and as such, I find such books repetitive and boring.

In short, ignore my review if you are a self-help fan because you will definitely find the book more supportive and inspiring.

Recommended to those looking for a light and quick motivational comic of sorts.

My thanks to Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley for the DRC of “Thinking of You (but not like in a weird creepy way)”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

The Great Divide - Cristina Henríquez - ★★★★.¼

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★