The Blackout Book Club - Amy Lynn Green

AUTHOR: Amy Lynn Green

NARRATOR: Leah Horowitz
GENRE: WWII, Historical Fiction.
RATING: 4.5 stars.

In a Nutshell: Set during the WWII period but not like any typical WWII fiction. This is a story of friendships, relationships and bonding over books. Interesting characters. Appealing plot. Enjoyed this a lot.

Story Synopsis:
1942, Derby, Maine. Avis Montgomery, who prefers women’s magazines to books, is suddenly thrust into the role of the head librarian as a replacement for her brother who has signed up for active service. When the owner of the library reveals plans to shut it down for other war efforts, Avis invents a ‘Blackout Book Club’ to keep the library open. Now all she needs is people to join the impromptu book club.
Along with Avis, we have Ginny – a young girl determined to buy back her Long Island home from the government by any means possible, Martina – a mother looking for a fresh start for herself and her kids in a new town, and Louise – a wealthy spinster who is adamant about her beliefs. The story is written in the third person perspective of these four characters.


Where the book worked for me:
😍 My favourite part of this book was everything connected to the book club. As I am a member of a book club myself, I know how tricky it is to select the right book, get the right discussion questions, and keep a majority of members satisfied. The discussions of the Blackout Book Club won my heart with their true-to-life depiction. I loved how the author doesn’t just stop at saying that they discussed XYZ book but also incorporates the selection method and the actual discussion into the story, and that too, without becoming repetitive. If you have already read the books being discussed (which you will in most cases, as they are popular classic titles), you will enjoy the perspectives presented. I could write a lot more about the book club but I want you to experience it for yourself.

😍 The author’s research seems to be impeccable. The references to the pop culture of that era seem perfect, as is her depiction of their lifestyle and beliefs.

😍 The four women at the forefront are memorable. Each has a distinct personality, and it is fun to see how much they grow over the course of the story. The best part was that none of them were shown as perfect but realistic.

😍 While the book is set across the homes and work places of the four key characters, the best scenes were the ones in the Cavendish library. What bibliophile wouldn’t love the depiction of such an extensive and reader-friendly library! I also loved the way the story highlighted the role of librarians in an era prior to the Internet.

😍 As a Christian fiction, there are plenty of Christian elements in the writing. These are incorporated in the way I appreciate – rather than simply quoting biblical verses, the characters embody the true spirit of Christianity through their acts of fellowship and charity. I always love it when Christian deeds are prioritised over mere words.

😍 There are subtle shades of feminism in the story, not common for a WWII novel. The patriarchal vocabulary such as “manning the desk” or a dog being “man’s best friend” is also not spared.

😍 As far as I can recollect, I haven’t read a WWII story set in Maine. I liked this unusual perspective as it had many new details to offer.

😍 That said, this isn’t like a typical WWII fiction at all. While the war is going on, and does form a background to most of the events, it stays just there – in the background. The focus is firmly on the characters and their interactions within and without the book club. I appreciated this even more because I have become a tad saturated of WWII fiction lately, as almost all authors seem to follow a predefined formula. Not this one!


Where the book could have worked better for me:
πŸ˜• With four main characters, the start of the book was a little rocky for me as I took time to identity who was who and who was related to whom. It took me a while to get into the groove of the book. Once I could remember the characters, the going became a lot easier. The third person writing helps tremendously. I might not have had this issue if I had had the physical or digital book.


The audiobook experience:
The audiobook, clocking at 12 hrs 20 minutes, is narrated excellently by Leah Horowitz. She embodies the spirit of each character well and gives them a distinct voice and personality through her narration. I enjoyed her performance thoroughly. However, as I said, the initial 10-15% is confusing because of the number of characters. There is also a flashback timeline in Louise’s narration. So if you are an audiobook newbie, stick to reading this.


After a long time, I have enjoyed a WWII story this much. Its focus on the importance of books and libraries, plus its strong female lead characters make it a must read. Definitely recommended for fans of the genre. I will definitely keep an eye out for more books by this author.

My thanks to RB Media and NetGalley for the ALC of “The Blackout Book Club”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the audiobook.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

The Great Divide - Cristina HenrΓ­quez - ★★★★.¼