Ingots of Gold - Agatha Christie

AUTHOR: Agatha Christie

SERIES: Miss Marple, Short Story #3
GENRE: Cosy Mystery.
RATING: 2.5 stars.

This time, it’s the turn of Miss Marple’s nephew, Raymond West, to narrate an unsolved mystery.

Story Synopsis:
Gold missing. One person supposedly guilty. As expected, the guilty isn't guilty.


I went in with lower and better expectations this time around. I reminded myself not to look for fast thrills or detective work, to expect Miss Marple to pop in with the right solution only at the very end, not to look for a perfect resolution of the entire mystery but be happy with a “who did it” and a little of “how he did it”, and finally, to expect conversation to dominate over action. Despite all this prep, I still land up on 2.5 stars as my rating because the cue that helps Miss Marple ‘crack the case” is so silly, it borders on the ridiculous!

I've always known that cosy mysteries aren't for me, and this anthology is confirming it with every subsequent story.

Not giving up though – don’t want yet another DNF this year. If only I could bring myself to follow my original reading plan of a story every other day or so. I've to push myself to open the book. Sigh.

This story is part of the 'The Thirteen Problems' collection.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Stormy Normy Finds His Forever Home - Leisa Fail - ★★★.½

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★