How We Disappear - Tara Lynn Masih

Author: Tara Lynn Masih

Genre: Anthology
Rating: 3.35 stars.

A haunting collection of twelve stories and one novella set around the theme of disappearance, whether physical or metaphorical.

As the title indicates, the tales deal with “how we disappear”, but don’t feel repetitive in their theme. While one might involve a wartime pilot “disappearing”, another might involve a roadside fishmonger who “disappears” to passing vehicles without much thought. I am surprised at how the author thought of so many ways in which the tag ‘disappear” can apply to people.

The approach of most of the stories is either dark or melancholic. Barely a couple of stories are lighter in essence, though many are feel-good in their own way. I think the sombre feel of the collection made a difference to my experience. Though I did spread out this read over many days, the gloominess got to me. I might have enjoyed this better had I picked it up in a different mood.

What is undeniable is the writing talent of the author. Amazing prose, brilliant control over the story-telling, and praise-worthy rep of those from indigenous and/or minority backgrounds. Her storytelling is simply beautiful. None of the stories felt like they ended abruptly, though they might not have a traditional HEA.

As always, I rated the stories individually. Some of the stories hit the mark, while others left me feeling a tad confused over their point. Some were apt in their length while a few would have worked better if extended a bit. My favourites from this collection were:

πŸ‘‰ What You Can't See in the Picture – How a police “recogniser” uses her special skills to locate a missing child.

πŸ‘‰ Delight –How a sweet maker from Puerto Rico finds unexpected love despite disappearing in the background because of her partial disability. My favourite story from the book, probably because it was the only one with a better than feel-good end.

πŸ‘‰ In a Sulfate Mist – How a new couple discovers a bond in mayfly season.

πŸ‘‰ If You Had Stopped – Hardly a few paragraphs long but among the most impactful. Written in second person, it narrates the thoughts of a fishmonger as she watches the vehicles pass by on the highway without stopping to buy her wares.

3.35 stars, based on the average of my rating for each story. As I said, this might have been higher had I picked it up at some other time. Regardless of my lower rating, I would still suggest this as a worthwhile anthology for its intelligent writing and range of topics and characters. This is definitely an author I would love to read more of.

My thanks to Press 53 and NetGalley for the DRC of “How We Disappear”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

Stormy Normy Finds His Forever Home - Leisa Fail - ★★★.½

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★