Silver River Shadow - Jane Thomas

Author: Jane Thomas

Contributing Editor: Rochelle Lamm
Illustrator: Sarah Jane Docker
Genre: Middle-grade Fiction
Rating: 4.5 stars.

An inspiring and enlightening story for middle graders.

Twelve year old Lizzie has been given a summer project – “Your Family Story”. With a dead mother and an absentee father, Lizzie resorts to searching through the attic to see if she can dig up some information about her ancestors. To her surprise, the attic contains a whole box of puzzling documents. As she researches further into these with her best friend Bobby, she uncovers a sad secret and a shocking cover-up, one that depresses her and also inspires her. What follows is a daring adventure with Bobby as she strive to find out the whole truth.


There were two things that drove me to pick this book up. One is that stunning title and cover! Neither revealed to me what the book would be about but both attracted my attention. The second was this line of the blurb:
“Based on a true story, Silver River Shadow reveals the stark truths of the mercury tragedy that still affects the Ojibway community in Canada's northeastern Ontario today.”
Mercury poisoning isn’t a topic I have seen in any fiction, especially not in children’s fiction. Plus, the story talks of an indigenous community in Canada. A further plus: it is based on a true story. How could I resist the book?

I usually read children’s fiction for relaxation. No matter what the subgenre, books in this age category leave me mostly content. This book was an exception. It stirred me up to find more. I had never heard of the tragedy in Minamata, Japan in 1950. I had never read about the problems faced by the Ojibway community. I had heard of mercury poisoning but never knew the extent of its devastation. There were so many facts the book lay before my eyes that I was stunned.

I loved the themes raised by the book. Environmental awareness, rights of indigenous communities, exploitation by the rich and the powerful, mercury poisoning – all are done justice to.

The writing is a bit complicated. No surprise here given the tough theme. But as it is aimed at middle graders, I guess the upper MG age group (10 years plus) should find the proceedings easier to comprehend.

There are some lovely colour illustrations before each chapter.

After the end of the story, there’s a section titled “I guess you’d like to know which bits are true?” (I loved this title BTW!) This special chapter reveals the authenticity of the content. Lizzie’s fictitious great-grandparents in the story were actual people named Barney and Marion Lamm, who lived in the Canadian wilderness and fought for the rights of the Ojibway community, especially when the local river was found contaminated with mercury. Their fight wasn’t easy, and their efforts weren’t rewarded. I am so glad the author chose to bring this couple’s story in the public eye. The creation of the book has been overseen by Rochelle Lamm, Barney and Marion's daughter, and reviewed by Ojibway readers living in and connected to Grassy Narrows. Thus the content isn’t just ad hoc but stamped with the approval of the key people related to the story. I heartily appreciate this tag of authenticity.

All in all, if you are looking for a middle grade novel that combines adventure and awareness, give this indie work a try.

4.5 stars from me. (I’ll be honest. The story/writing was a 4 star. The facts and the author’s note made me push up the rating. This book deserves a wider audience.)

My thanks to author Jane Thomas and BookSirens for the DRC of “Silver River Shadow”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

The Great Divide - Cristina Henríquez - ★★★★.¼

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★