Moonsleep and Other Stories - Liz Tuckwell

Author: Liz Tuckwell

Genre: SFF-Horror Anthology
Rating: 3.75 stars.

A wonderful collection of stories from the SFF-Horror genre.

The fifteen stories in this book all have elements of fantasy, ranging from the mild to the bizarre. Every story has something novel. Many of the stories were retellings of fairytales, and I enjoyed the twist the author provided in these. One of the tales was a spinoff of Jane Eyre, narrating a scene from Mr. Mason’s perspective. I loved this one for its imagination.

As in every anthology, some tales work exceptionally and some feel like they could have been rounded off better. But on the whole, I find myself very satisfied with this anthology because none of the stories were bad. I rated the stories individually in 0.5 star increments, as is my usual method. Of the fifteen tales, nine reached/crossed the four star mark. Most of the rest fell between 3-3.5 stars. A few of my top favourites were:

πŸ‘» Tully and the Ghost – Gives classic vibes of a poor buy clever guy trumping two villains (one of whom is a ghost) in one shot. Loved it despite the predictability for the fun writing - 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

πŸ‘» The Mysterious Mr. Fox – I know this is the retelling of some fairy tale I read but I recollect the name of the original. Nevertheless, I loved the spin it gave to that story. - πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’«

πŸ‘» Mason's Revenge – The Jane Eyre spin-off I mentioned above. - πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’«

πŸ‘» The Perfect Ham Sandwich – Time travel for the sake of a ham sandwich! - πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’«

πŸ‘» The Young Woman in the Yellow Bikini – Could guess a part of the twist but not all. Nicely written. - πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ’«

All in all, an anthology worth reading for SFF/Horror fans. It is a marvellous indie work and I would love to try more by this author. Definitely recommended.

3.75 stars, based on the average of my rating for each story.

My thanks to author Liz Tuckwell and BookSirens for the DRC of “Moonsleep and Other Stories”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

The Great Divide - Cristina HenrΓ­quez - ★★★★.¼

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★