The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

Author: Donna Tartt

Narrator: David Pittu
Genre: Literary Fiction
Rating: 3.5 stars.

Ah well! So that’s that! I read it. Phew!

What I loved:
• The story.

• The title that indicates not just the painting in the story but also works as a metaphor for the lead character Theo, who seems to be stuck in place no matter how much he tries to fly. It works brilliantly for the story.

• The emotions of the various lead characters who are so flawed and yet you can’t help connecting with them. Hobie was my favourite of the lot, but even Theo, with all his murky greys and Boris with his screwed-up Russian loyalties make a mark. (Making a mark doesn’t necessarily mean you will like them.)

• The writing quality, except for the length of the scenes, was excellent. The author’s use of analogies and character musings worked very well. It’s a character-driven novel from start to end.

• All the references to art. In my real life, I can’t make head or tail of paintings but I enjoyed reading the thoughts related to all things artistic in this book.


What I did not love:
• The looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg scenes. The Bombayite in me kept complaining “ Kitna paka rahi hai! ” (Sorry, my international friends, but this is a sentiment that can’t be translated to English.) At least 200 pages could have been docked off the final tally if the author were focussed more on completing what she set out to do than establishing literary merit.

• Too much of philosophising, which adds to the dragged feel.

• 32 hours on audio. Oh my dear God! I could have read 3 audiobooks in this time.


If I had read this a decade ago, when I was younger and had more time & patience to deal with a 700 pager, I might have rated it 4 stars. But at this stage, I can rate it a 3.5 at best. No regrets reading it, but I’m relieved it’s done and dusted. No FOMO. And no reread on my agenda for this book.

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Stormy Normy Finds His Forever Home - Leisa Fail - ★★★.½

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★