Kane & Abel - Jeffrey Archer

Author: Jeffrey Archer

Series: Kane & Abel, #1
Genre: Historical Fiction, Family Saga
Rating: 4.5 stars.

Looking at an old book with modern lenses isn't easy. I have read this classic at least 4-5 times but more than fifteen years ago. This reread (which will probably be a final reread) took me down nostalgia lane.

In many ways, I have grown as a reader so I could see all the flaws of the book standing out glaringly - the umpteen coincidences, the "Bollywood potboiler" kind of drama, the lack of attention to the daughters,... These elements haven't stood the test of time. At the same time, nothing can deny the magnitude of the historical, social and political coverage of the book. Nor can one ignore how wonderfully the story is built up in parallel between the two main characters, each of them getting the spotlight for an almost equal time. That ending is also perfect. I would have been disappointed if it had gone the more clichΓ©d way.

Kane and Abel are both grey characters in many ways. Regardless of their disparate start in life, they have so much in common, especially in their determination, drive and demands. I don't love the characters but I love their intricate character sketching. Only Jeffrey Archer can make you root for such complicated characters.

If I view this book through my 2022 perspective, I might rate it a 4. But considering the era it was written in, and keeping in mind the almost perfect blend of fact and fiction, I will go with 4.5. The fact that I could complete this 550 pager within two days shows how much I have loved this classic. It's still going to be one of my favourite Archer works, despite the myriad flaws. 😊

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Stormy Normy Finds His Forever Home - Leisa Fail - ★★★.½

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★