The Forty Rules of Love - Elif Shafak - ★★★

AUTHOR: Elif Shafak
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Philosophy
RATING: 3 stars.

After so many had recommended it, I HAD to go for "The Forty Rules of Love" as my next read. Of course, I never expected to take a fortnight to complete it, a very rare instance for me.

I just completed the book last night, and here I am, on a lazy Saturday morning, pondering over what I read and introspecting over the rules.

Shams of Tabriz is a fascinating character - some of his decisions might seem questionable until you realize the thought behind it. His forty rules are quite a mixed bag in this day and age. But at least half of the rules seem like they must be remembered and applied in our lives.

As far as the rest of the book goes, it didn't really "shake my world" the way I had expected it to. It's a great read, but I somehow just couldn't "feel" it. Maybe I haven't evolved yet as a person/reader.

Overall, I would still recommend it as a book worth reading. What you get from it is upto you as a person, because I do feel it will give different take-aways to different readers.

Some of the rules that I loved:
💮 “How we see God is a direct reflection of how we see ourselves.....If we see God as full of love and compassion, so are we.”

💮 “Whatever happens in your life, no matter how troubling things might seem, do not enter the neighborhood of despair. Even when all doors remain closed, God will open up a new path only for you. Be thankful!”

💮 “Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?”

Lots more introspection required for these. Shams is going to stay with me for a long while...

Comments

Explore more posts from this blog:

Takeout Sushi - Christopher Green - ★★★★

Big Bad Wolf Investigates Fairy Tales - Catherine Cawthorne - ★★★★★

Red Runs the Witch's Thread - Victoria Williamson - ★★★★

The Great Divide - Cristina Henríquez - ★★★★.¼

Making Up the Gods - Marion Agnew - ★★★★.¼